As research is throwing up more and more benefits to taking marijuana as a medicine, an increasing number of people are being helped by it. If you are in a state where marijuana is legal for medical use, and you have one of the stipulated illnesses, you are in luck and should be able to get medical marijuana to help you.
To be able to legally buy from a medical marijuana dispensary, you need to have a Medical Marijuana card. And whilst the process isn’t too complicated, there are a few steps to it.
The laws in each state vary from slightly to massively, but if you live in Las Vegas, the process is as follows…
- Your Condition – There are strict rules about what conditions make you eligible for receiving medical marijuana. If you aren’t sure, go and speak to your doctor and they should be able to tell you what your options are. The current medical conditions which are accepted in Nevada are.:
- Acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Cachexia (general physical wasting and malnutrition from chronic disease)
- Persistent muscle spasms (including multiple sclerosis)
- Seizures (including epilepsy)
- Severe nausea
- Severe pain (the most commonly reported condition)
- Additional conditions, subject to approval by the Division
- There is no maximum or minimum age limit – but a minor release form is needed for children
- Send a check for $25 to the Nevada State Health Division with a written request which can be found here.
- You can mail your request to this address:
Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health
ATTN: Medical marijuana Division
4150 Technology Way
Carson City, Nevada 89706
And contact them on this number – 777-687-7594
- You must include the following information with your request
- The address where the application should be sent
- If you are a caregiver that needs marijuana for the patient, request a care giver packet
- If it isn’t for you, include the person’s name and address
- If it is for a minor, request a minor release form
- If you have a commercial driver`s licence you won’t be able to a Nevada Medical Marijuana card.
- Follow the instructions on the letter when you receive it. If you don’t follow them properly, you may find yourself not being issued a card.
- You then need to find a qualified doctor who can recommend the use of medical marijuana for you. Many doctors will do this, but there are still some who won`t. If this is your case, there are many doctors who you can find who will recommend you – just make an appointment with them and take along your medical records. Your doctor will be checked however, so make sure that you pick the right one.
- Next send your application into the Division of Health and they will do some background criminal checks. You will need to send your fingerprints in for this.
- The cost to renew or register is $75
- Once that you have been approved for your card, the state will send you a temporary card whilst they carry out the background check. You can then go and get your medical marijuana until your actual card comes through.
- The card lasts for one year
The process of getting a medical marijuana card may seem like a daunting process but for those who suffer these illnesses it is sell worth it. So if you think that you could benefit from medical marijuana, start process now and see how your life can change.